Re: NSString-stringWithCString: can't handle umlaute

From: Martin Kuball
Subject: Re: NSString-stringWithCString: can't handle umlaute
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:35:45 +0200

Thanks for the answer.

OK, here is some info about my system. I'm running debian Linux
unstable (i386 architecture). My locales are set to de_DE.UTF-8.
I'm using gdb 6.1. What I did was to set a breakpoint on the line
        NSString *test = [NSString stringWithCString: cstr];
Once there I typed s and return. Then gdb took a deep breath and
eventually answered with:
        0x40155530 in GSScanDouble ()
        from /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.so.1

OK, stupid me. After installing the debug version of the foundation
lib debugging goes much better. Point is gnustep is right and I'm not
using utf8 encoding despite my locale says so. F*g kde editor! I
guess I still have some way to go to make my system utf-8 clean.

Martin