Re: ObjectiveC accessors

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: ObjectiveC accessors
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 12:00:58 +0200

On Jun 1, 2004, at 10:14, Marcel Weiher wrote:
I agree that this is not necessarily a good idea ;-), but notably Boehm-GC can be used as a drop-in replacement for the malloc library (without altering semantics!)
If you use 2 different mallocs, then it's obviously not a drop in replacement.

Hu? Boehm-GC *is* a drop-in replacement (nothing else was stated), using it as such allows you to more reliably use the conservative GC functionality *in addition*.

Sure.  It just isn't semantically compatible, and cannot be.

It absolutely is. If you use the GC malloc instead of system malloc, it isn't (I can't remember that someone ever asked for that?), if you use it as a drop-in replacement, it is perfectly malloc compatible and provides additional functionality on top of that.

You are probably confused by the name of the software "BoehmGC" - it actually does not only provide the GC, but also a library that can be used instead of system malloc. Nothing else was said, see my initial statement on the top of the mail. If you read that as "GC is available at C system level with C compatible behaviour", you read it wrong (this is obviously nonsense ;-) Maybe we can agree on that and stop the thread ...

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/