Re: NSBrowser cleanup

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSBrowser cleanup
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:12:17 +0100

On 30 Jun 2004, at 21:23, Serg Stoyan wrote:

Hello Richard,

On 30 Jun 2004, at 18:22, Serg Stoyan wrote:

I've done some formatting inside NSBrowser.m also. The basic
principles of this formatting are:

1. Methods are placed in order specified in OpenStep specification.

2. Methods are grouped by activity prepending with comments in the
form:
//-------------
// Acttivity group description as described in OpenStep specification
//-------------

Euch ... I hate that ... I like methods to be in alphabetical order
within their categories to make them easy to find.

Actually, in OpenStep specicication, methods are in alphabetical order
within activity group. If by "categories" you mean that groups, then
everything is ok.

No, I mean 'categories' to be taken in the technical sense used in the
Objective-C language.

Purely from a legalistic point of view, it is probably better to lay the code out as differently from the OpenStep/MacOS-X layouts as reasonably possible in order to make it difficult for any claim of copyright infringement ... though
personally I don't really think we have much reason to worry about that.

So ... while I have no intention of asking anyone to structure things the way I happen to like, I would not like to be told to structure them the way OpenStep/Apple do, and I think that if a recommendation is made at all, it should be that we *don't*
follow that style.