Re: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Update

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Update
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:06:34 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2004, at 7:13 AM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
> >
> > $ gcc.objc --print-libgcc-file-name
> > /usr/local/gcc-cvs/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.5.0/libgcc.a
> >

> Arg. There's hardly any general distinguishing characteristic between
> the compilers.

In that case, why do you need to know? :) It seems to me that either
there is a real functional difference, and if there is you should test
for that difference directly, or there isn't, and then you don't need to
know.

> Although really it only matters on darwin systems.  How
> about...
>
> gcc_cc_type=`${CC} --print-libgcc-file-name | grep -c "gcc-"`
>
> ?

No. "gcc-cvs" in my path is my prefix, so in general, the path would be
"$(prefix)/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.5.0/libgcc.a", and there's no
"gcc-" in that.

> The apple compiler gives:
>
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a

It might be possible to get this path with FSF gcc if you don't
./configure gcc with --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs , but I'm
not sure.

> Although, I suppose someone could compile their own custom apple
> compiler. I wonder what that would look like?

- Alexander Malmberg