Re: Once more cross compilation

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Once more cross compilation
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:26:49 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> >>No it isn't. There was no TARGET involved in the compilation of the other
> >>package. The question is the same if you crosscompile any package (say
> >>GNUMail which has no TARGET) with a crosscompiling gnustep-make.
> >

> > Then I didn't understand the question - apologies.
> >
> > If you compile gnustep-make with HOST=local-system and TARGET=xxx, and you
> > want to use the resulting gnustep-make to compile a package which you want
> > to run on xxx, you just have to type
> >
> > make target=xxx
> >
> > when you compile.
> >

> I started following your instruction for crosscompilation and get the
> same warning messages that hinted to me originally to do it differently:
>
> Typing in:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/zaurus/gnustep --disable-flattened
> --host=ix86-linux --target=arm-linux
> --libdir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Libraries/arm/linux-gnu
> --includedir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Headers/gnu-gnu-gnu
>

> Results in:
>
> configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
>      If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
> checking for ix86-linux-gcc... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output... a.out

>From the autoconf manual -

"For historical reasons, passing `--host' also changes the build type.
Therefore, whenever you specify --host, be sure to specify --build too.
This will be fixed in the future."

So you have to use

--build=ix86-linux --host=ix86-linux --target=arm-linux

Not sure that will work yet :-) but it's a step in the right direction