Re: Documentation updates and misc. stuff (Was: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Upd

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Documentation updates and misc. stuff (Was: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Update)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:07:52 +0100

On 29 Jul 2004, at 22:52, Adrian Robert wrote:
A big comment on something I noticed about halfway through the patch:

+Nonetheless, the recommendation of this author is that you put the comments
+in the header,

Regardless of opinions about this, it's very important that everything
is documented only once, and this doesn't seem to be the case with your patch. I, too, prefer to have the documentation in the headers, but the
fact that we only have one copy of each bit of documentation is much
more important than its location. This should be fixed as soon as
possible (before the two copies diverge and there's time-consuming
merging to do).

You are right. The problem is in some cases autogsdoc either overwrites comments made on a declaration with those later found in a definition (clearing them if the comments are "blank"), or it just ignores the comments on the declaration.

Are you *sure*? It's supposed to simply append them ...ie if there are comments in both declaration and definition, you should get both sets of comments appearing as the text in the documentation, never any overwriting. I've never heard anyone report that this goes wrong before. The one exception to this is if the comments in the declaration and definition are identical ... there is code in there to check for that case and ignore one set of comments on the assumption that someone has mistakenly copied the same comments into both places, or that the same file has been used as both header and source.

I have been meaning to look at the code and try to fix this, but in the meantime I would sometimes just lazily copy the comments to the place where they would get picked up. Bad, yes..

Regarding any duplication introduced between source and header (I don't think there is much, I tried specifically to avoid it), I had vaguely in mind that at some point in the not-distant future a policy could be decided for whether to put gsdoc comments in headers and source (and hoping myself for the headers option), then we would just move/merge everything accordingly. In the long run we need such a policy to ease maintenance.

FWIW, my preference is to put it in the headers. When I wrote autogsdoc I wanted to put it in the source ... because the driving idea behind it was to get the documentation absolutely as close as possible to the code people are writing, to make it as easy as possible for them to add documentation (on the theory that that's the way to get them to write it). I think experience in the past year has shown that the theory was wrong ... people who add documentation will add it either way, people who don't add documentation just don't. That being the case, I think it's more natural to have the comments in the header, and maybe at some future time autogsdoc can be made simpler and more efficient by ceasing to parse the source and sticking to the headers only.

For duplication _within_ a header file like NSZone.h as you mentioned I'll either fix autogsdoc soon (or maybe Richard will volunteer to look at it ;) or do another pass and take out the comments that are not getting picked up anyway. There were not very many instances of this, I think just NSZone and NSGeometry primarily..

This also applies if there are several implementations eg. due to
#ifdef:s; there must still only be one copy of the documentation.

Yes ... the person adding comments must normally make sure they document only one version of the code. Where multiple comments are found for something being documented, they are merged together ... so if there are multiple versions of an item, either you should comment only one version or, the comments in each version should make it clear that they are referring to different variants of the code. This has a legitimate use if you want to document the differences in implementation or behavior in different variants of the code, but I'd suggest that it should be a *strong* recommendation that people only document the first variant
of any conditionally compiled code.

If autogsdoc is changed to not throw away declaration comments on reading implementation comments

It doesn't... except where the two comments are identical ... in which case it keeps one copy.

(or lack thereof) this might fix most of this problem. Autogsdoc does not parse #ifdefs,

It does parse them ... but only to tell what standard is in effect, not to say whether or not comments are to be used.

most of which in Foundation relate to the NO_GNUSTEP, etc. standards selectors. If we tried to deal w/the multiple implementations issue by running the C preprocessor before generating docs, this would prevent generation of docs that include all standards.

You mentioned some things are now documented that are "private". I don't understand the structure of GNUstep headers very well, nor how autogsdoc decides whether something should be documented or not. It does NOT decide based on the presence of "/** ... */", but rather based on its own criteria and it puts markers in the docs with "Description forthcoming..." if there are no "/** ... */" comments.

The rule about what is to be documented is simple ... it will document *everything* in the header files you give it on the command line (with a minor ivar exception) . It will also append any further information it finds in inferred implementation files which corresponds to items in the headers.

eg. If you tell it to document NSObject.h, it documents everything in that header. It also looks at NSObject.m and appends any autogsdoc markup found in that file to the documentation of things which were already found declared in NSObject.h

Basically this follows the visibility rules of ObjC ... you can see everything in the public header, so it documents everything in the public header. Information from the private source code is just added to the entries already generated for publicly declared items.

You can also use autogsdoc to document source files with no public header files, by supplying the source file name on the command line ... in which case autogsdoc treats it as if it were a public header file.

Autogsdoc uses the same rules as the Objective-C language for determining if an ivar is private or not. ie if it is declared as '@private' then it is private (and not documented by default).

This is a good feature of the doc system (developer does not have to consult the header directly even if the provider did not document some things), but maybe it sometimes makes the wrong decision, or maybe some stuff in the Foundation headers should be elsewhere? Ideally, the only stuff appearing in Headers/Foundation/*.h should be public, with the private stuff moved to "hidden" headers under Source. This works well for instance variables (using the GSXxx classes in cluster patterns) but may not be possible for these other variables due to implementation constraints.

A related question is the meaning of the "Variables" category in gsdoc. A lot of the things that autogsdoc is classifying as "Variables" actually appear to be "Constants" in terms of their usage, e.g., fixed strings for notification types. Most of the others are the ones you said should be "private". Is "Variables" supposed to be "global variables"? If so, we need to look at what criteria autogsdoc uses to distinguish one from a "constant", and check whether this is in line with the declarations in the Foundation headers.

As an additional measure, we may want a way to mark something for autogsdoc to ignore, like a special '<ignore/>' tag. (Just looking for underscores and things like that in an identifier runs the risk of running up against someone's programming conventions, which is why autogsdoc does not completely hide such ivars/methods now.)

Autogsdoc has command-line options to say whether instance variables are all to be documented or not. The leading underscore convention for ivars determines whether a warning will be inserted into the documentation when such an ivar is documented, not whether it is documented at all. It's the commend-line option that says whether private ivars should be documented.

I think it's quite likely that in many cases the problem is that ivars are not being declared as @private when they really ought to be (in ObjC, ivars are @protected by default), and the documentation generated by autogsdoc is simply reflecting an error in the header files.

I don't see any need to ignore anything ... if something should not be documented, it shouldn't be in the header file.
The solution should be to correct the header files in such cases.