Re: Patch for unicode support on Win32 in GNUstep base

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Patch for unicode support on Win32 in GNUstep base
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:10:12 -0600

On Aug 25, 2004, at 2:41 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

My feeling is that, if the filesystem names are going to be unicode (ie contain characters which can't be represented in any one single byte characterset), the encoding should be utf-8 and so -fileSystemRepresentation would return a utf-8 sequence, which could then be converted to 16-bit unicode if/when it is passed to a system call.

The only problem with that is ... what if people set their default encoding to be (for instance) latin1, but they try to use filenames containing characters which can't be represented in that characterset and need utf-8? I think this could be a problem on any system though, not just windows.

Yes it is. From the documentation, the methods should return UTF8 on systems that can handle UTF8 filenames (I think almost everything can). Right now I think it only does that when the default encoding is some form of UTF8 (perhaps that's OK, I think?))

On Windows, I had thought about making sure that happens and then doing the conversion to 16-bit before the system call. That's OK if we are just using it internally, but it would be confusing for a developer on Windows using fileSystemRepresentation, expecting it to return a true 16-bit unicode when it really returns utf8