Re: Modest string handling optimisations (Was: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/cor

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Modest string handling optimisations (Was: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/core/base ChangeLog Source/NSString.m)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:07:20 +0100

PS. I checked the current (Panther) MacOS-X behavior for lowercaseString,
and apple now returns a *copy* of the string (not retained/released).
Probably we want to do the same thing for consistency, regardless of general
memory management policy issues.

The main part of my change was making the actual case conversion more
efficient ... I don't think we lose a lot by copying the string in the cases where
no conversion is required.  However, if people think performance is more
important, we should document the behavior we have implemented.