Re: Release Aug 28

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Release Aug 28
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:24:15 +0200

Hi Nicola,

this discussion is not really fair. I have here a cross compile environment up and running, while you can only guess, what may be the results of the commands you suggest

At least we seem to agree on a few things. To cross compile GNUstep
from i686-linux to arm-linux, for example, you need to first get a
GNUstep make usable on the i686 machine (You also need a crosscompiled
one, which will later be copied to the other machine, but on this see below). And now we also agree that for building base (and other GNUstep modules) you need to set --host and not just --target. If we keep on making progress like this, we will sooner or later get cross compilation working. :-)

You suggest to build make by specifing:

./configure --build=ix86-linux --host=ix86-linux --target=arm-linux --disable-flattened

This results in the ix86 executables to be installed in the directory System/Makefiles/arm/linux-gnu/. Not sure if this is the intended behaviour, but this surely removes the need to change common.make. Here I wanted to change the path for which_lib from HOST to BUILD, otherwise an unusable executable would be found. But now with an ix86 executable in the ARM directory things work.
We could stick with this behaviour, it is just a bit hard to explain.

When I try to compile the excecutables which_lib and user_home needed later on the ARM machine now:

make distclean
./configure --build=ix86-linux --host=arm-linux --disable-flattened
make
make install

This would overwrite the above cleverly placed executables. So this step should be left until the very end.

Than the next step is to source the GNUstep.sh and than to build
GNUstep base. Here you suggest

./configure --build=i686-linux --host=arm-linux

So far so good and it is great to finally agree on this. But now for me the cross compilation gcc is no longer used, instead the standard system gcc and ld get called. Here I must admit, that I don't understand why this was working before, but now it is definitly broken. The crosscompilation gcc, ld and so on get correctly detected by the configure script.