Short warning on current Cygwin

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Short warning on current Cygwin
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:33:39 +0200

I updated my Cygwin environment this week and now I am no longer able to compile GNUstep on my machine, which worked ok with the older Cygwin. One problem is caused by gjc 3.3.3, this module provides libffi. But with the newer release ffi.h now includes another header file and this was left out of the shipment. (Does anybody know how to reach a Cygwin package maintainer? Or how to privde bug reoports for packages?)

The other problem is even worse. The way we are generating the list of exported symbols is no longer working. nm wont return any class names anymore, so classes cannot be exported, which breaks shared libraries for GNUstep. This may require a switch to a different export mechanism for your symbols. As far as I remember there already where a few patches for this. What I don't know is, if they are specific to certain GCC versions or could be used a s a general replacement.

For now I would suggest that if your Cygwin environment is working, try not tu update the GCC packages.