Re: ObjectiveC Runtime Documentation

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: ObjectiveC Runtime Documentation
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:14:40 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
> Speaking about that, are there many differences between GNU and Apple
> runtimes?
> Are there any incompatibilites that can not be solved by some abstraction in
> current GSObjCRuntime?

Well there are quite a few incompatibilities.  Among them are:
- different naming conventions for functions (objc_under_score vs.
objc_lowerUppercaseSytle)
- data types (Method(_t), MethodList(_t), IVar(_t))
- differences in method lookup/dispatch sequence
- organization of internal structures
- ...

But so far, I believe we've been able to abstract any differences we've
needed in GSObjCRuntime, even if it's not always the most efficient.
(When it comes to efficiency I lean heavily toward optimizing for the
gnu runtime.)

I haven't found anything fundamentally impossible to abstract (yet ;-).

Cheers,