Re: Problem installing GNUstep

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Problem installing GNUstep
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:21:34 -0600

On Sep 20, 2004, at 2:56 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Installing GNUstep is trouble, for what reason I don't know.  I went to
http://www.pbone.net and found GNUstep RPMS for Fedora Core 2.
They installed cleanly, but didn't work at all. WHen I tried to compile
Agent Farms, I got all kinds of abuse about having the wrong locale,
wrong time, and it could not find the base class, NSObject.  So I got
the SRPMs and rebuilt on my machine, and that was OK.  SO, apparently,
even having an RPM for FC2 does not suffice to assure GNUstep is
properly installed.

Fairly odd. If it can't find the base class, then nothing should work. That's a pretty big problem (maybe gcc/Obj-C wasn't installed correctly...) I can't see how you could get any other error messages if you got that one.

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/gnustep- howto_toc.html#SEC10

In the docs where it offers the 4 methods of setting the time, it is not clear how I can set the time correctly. It says I can go fishing in the

Technically, you probably don't need to set the time zone - GNUstep should be able to figure that out automatically. But I'll update the docs to make it more clear.