Re: New developers and publicity

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: New developers and publicity
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:44:38 +0200

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
See below...

--- address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

Excuse me for higher traffic from my side in last few days. I started to be
concerned by GNUstep publicity, because I think that it is as important as
stability and feature completness, perhaps just a little bit less.

Reason? There is large lack of time: you do not have much free time, nor I
do.
Publicity gives life to the project and attracts new people who, by using,
can
spot bugs, give feedback, post patches, and most importantly: they can learn
what the software is and how it works. Those who learn can grow to new
developers. Benefits? You can reamin focused on your matter.

You can not fix all the bugs people are requesting to fix. You can not
implement
all missing methods that yo do not require for your project, do you? Neither
you can add many new interesting features. You have to focus on many other
things. And note that you have invested much time to the project.

Here is a small statistics from Slashdot. Look at slashdot topics and select
GNUstep. You see only 28 articles there since 1998, from which 9 are about
Windowmaker (1/3!). Latest article is from December 26th, 2002.

Even gnustep is not a desktop environment, but closest project equivalents
are
still KDE and Gnome. Enough said that Gnome has ~40 articles only in 2004,
not
counting others. It is similar with KDE.

It is just small observation to let you know how it is with the project. I
can
not call my self core gnustep developer as i did not too much compared to
others who deserve that title. Therefore I would like to ask, whether some of
core developers can give a bit attention to this issue and from time to time
initiate a publicity action?

What do you think?

I agree that we need more publicity.   I disagree, however, with the venue.   I
have found slashdot to be a very clique-ish in the sense that the people there
who are in charge of posting articles only do so from certain individuals.

We should find a better venue than slashdot to do our publicity.   Or at least
an alternative one.

In the past I did have good responses from LWN. They posted almost every news item I send them...

Dennis

--
You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.
                        --- Sam Levenson