Re: Marketing (Was: Re: New developers and publicity)

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Marketing (Was: Re: New developers and publicity)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:45:24 +0700

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:29:25 -0700 (PDT), Alex Perez
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Nicolas Roard wrote:
> > > In my opinion. I think marketting GNUstep is a waste because it is not
> > > a desktop
> > > environment.
> >
> > I disagree -- whatever the project, marketing, word of mouth, is
> > important. But..
>
> I also disagree with Banlu on this point, and agree with Nicolas

Actually, I wanted to say that is a waste because the resources is limited,
and the tool-kit may not survive without a desktop environment so it
is important
to promote the right thing to gain most possible profit. in this case,
to have more
users so developers can make a living so they can continue working on GNUstep
(tool-kit). So GNUstep needs a brand for its desktop part. It is not neccessary
to be a new name, may be just use 'GNUstep' because the word has been
advertised for
years. And it can be developed seperately. ie. GNUstep Foundation,
GNUstep AppKit and GNUstep Desktop.

> > > However, it would be better (in a view)
> > > for the desktop environments to share openness with end users as much
> > > as possible.
> >
> > What do you mean by that ? Agree on particular file formats/frameworks
> > ? (think of AdressBook framework..)
> >
> Yes, I do not understand either...please clarify

Always analyse and survey the market. Do what users want as much as possible.
May be forums so user can speak, polls, etc.