Re: Marketing followup

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Marketing followup
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:31:29 +0200

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 11:32, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

<snip>

> The language: This was perceived as the hardest part. Working with a
> lanuage that is not familiar to most programmers requires a lot of
> marketing. The first idea was to create a list that shows the highlights
> of the language then create documents that tell e.g. a Java programmer
> how to do things in Objective-C, and also for C programmes, C++
> programmers etc. So an article per programming language.

Feel free to refresh my old slides with comparison of ObjectiveC, C++,
Java and Smalltalk. They are a bit outdated and they reflect my
knowledge from university days, however I think they are useable.

The slides are here: http://stefan.agentfarms.net/articles.php
named: "Comparison of OO Languages - slides". I think i have "sources"
for them somewhere...

Or if we can collect more ideas for the comparison I can recreate the
slides in a from of a document/web page.

> The look and feel: The answer quite frankely was: programmers might not
> care, but as soon as users don't pick the app, because it looks old,
> programmers don't want to create an app. Even when I told them about the
> benefits of the interface, they insisted on a new look... well they are
> marketing people :)

Yes, programmers do not care, but users do. And users are those who will
decide which project will live and which not by their choice. That is
why we need a bit modernised and decent intefrace. What is the satate of
the Chameleon bundle or with application extensions bundles in general?

> Name popularity: The first idea was to change the name, so it would
> sound good. I told them that was not an option. Then they suggested the
> news items for the news sites we are already talking about.

Name should remain for this time, as it is at least somehow known. We
can think of name change after there will be a piece of software that is
really known.

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi