Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:03:26 -0700 (PDT)

MJ,

Mathé ¦lt;address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm all for it too. A foundation dedicated to GNUstep is probably the best
> > choice from the legitimacy and visibility points of view.
>
> Can you explain why?

I can...  Because it would be managed by people who have little to do with the
actual GNUstep project.

> It seems less likely to be less trusted than FSF and I'm
> still waiting for Adam Fedor to say if he's asked FSF whether we can do most
> of the tax-break stuff through them, without the overheads of our own
> corporation.

We could talk to RMS about this and see what he says.   But this would take the
control out of the hands of those who have the most to do with the project, no
disrespect intended to RMS or the FSF.    I'm really not sure what thier
response will be.

> If visibility is the concern, does this need to be "GNUstep Foundation"
> rather than "GNUstep Marketing Foundation" or "GNUstep Promotion
> Association"?

Similar to the GNOME Foundation and the Apache Foundation, yes it does.

> > We trust you Gregory :-)
>
> I don't think I know Gregory?

I'm the Gorm guy. :)

> This discussion seems to be cc'd to a gnustep-dev list: is that in the gnu.*
> newsgroups too?

The feeling was that not enough people were on the address@hidden
list yet.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.