Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:10:11 +0100

On 2004-09-30 14:11:48 +0100 Quentin Mathé <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm all for it too. A foundation dedicated to GNUstep is probably the best
choice from the legitimacy and visibility points of view.

Can you explain why? It seems less likely to be less trusted than FSF and I'm still waiting for Adam Fedor to say if he's asked FSF whether we can do most of the tax-break stuff through them, without the overheads of our own corporation.

For the very simple reason that the FSF is here to promote the GNU project, not the GNUstep project. If GNUstep was still something important for the FSF, it could perhaps make sense to use the FSF, but that's not exactly the case. And even if that would be the case, the FSF deal with many others projects and its role is much broader than GNUstep. A GNUstep foundation will have only one project in mind. And it will help giving more exposure to the project, and it will help for the organisation too. Of course it will be less known than the FSF; less trusted, well, that depends on who is doing it, of course.

If visibility is the concern, does this need to be "GNUstep Foundation" rather than "GNUstep Marketing Foundation" or "GNUstep Promotion Association"?

Frankly, "GNUstep Foundation" is probably the best name... Basically because even if one the main goal will probably be to help visibility (...marketing..), that won't be the only action that such a foundation could do. As gregory said, it could perhaps help financing some devs/apps, etc. Anyway, the name isn't that important, but I don't see your point. What bother you with the name "GNUstep Foundation" ?

We trust you Gregory :-)

I don't think I know Gregory?

The current GORM's maintener ?

This discussion seems to be cc'd to a gnustep-dev list: is that in the gnu.* newsgroups too?

no idea.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke