Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:59:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2004-09-30 17:03:26 +0100 Gregory John Casamento
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > --- MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> On 2004-09-30 14:11:48 +0100 Quentin
> >> Can you explain why?
> > I can...  Because it would be managed by people who have little to do
> > with the
> > actual GNUstep project.
>
> Huh? I would expect that to make the Foundation less legitimate in
> most people's eyes.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  My point is that by keeping
it with the maintainers of GNUstep itself, that it will be *more* legitimate.
If the FSF runs it, they may not care about it as much as those directly
involved would.

> >> still waiting for Adam Fedor to say if he's asked FSF whether we can
> >> do most
> >> of the tax-break stuff through them, without the overheads of our own
> >> corporation.
> > [...] take
> > control out of the hands of those who have the most to do with the
> > project, no
> > disrespect intended to RMS or the FSF.    I'm really not sure what
> > thier
> > response will be.
>
> It need not remove control. It would surely remove some bureaucracy
> from the developers. Let's not prejudge their response if we don't
> know. I know GNOME broke away, but they are a special case in some
> ways. I will go read up on their foundation a bit. If anyone has a
> good reference, please tell me.
>
> >> If visibility is the concern, does this need to be "GNUstep
> >> Foundation"
> >> rather than "GNUstep Marketing Foundation" or "GNUstep Promotion
> >> Association"?
> > Similar to the GNOME Foundation and the Apache Foundation, yes it
> > does.
>
> Why? Just to ape GNOME?

No.  Actually... if you had read the post I made previously, I said we want to
have a different structure than the GNOME Foundation as they sometimes suffer
from "design by committee".

As for the name, I don't know how I would feel about something named "GNUstep
Marketing Foundation" or "The Foundation For the Promotion of GNUstep".
"GNUstep Foundation" seems appropriate to me.

> I worry that marketing is trying to lead development, instead of
> assisting it. My question about verifying the suggested problems has
> gone unanswered as yet.

This was my concern.  *PLEASE* read the previous post.  To reiterate, I said
that any GNUstep Foundation should have NOTHING to do with development.  That
is best left to the developer.  The foundation shall oversee ONLY the funds
necessary to further GNUstep promotion and, possibly, be used to contract with
outside companies to help GNUstep improve.

> >> This discussion seems to be cc'd to a gnustep-dev list: is that in
> >> the gnu.*
> >> newsgroups too?
> > The feeling was that not enough people were on the
> > address@hidden
> > list yet.
>
> I wanted to know whether I can read gnustep-dev as a newsgroup, not
> why this was cc'd.

Very well.  No, you cannot.  Discuss-gnustep is served as a newsgroup.
gnustep-dev is a private newsgroup for gnustep maintainers.

> --
> MJR/slef    My Opinion Only and not of any group I know
>   Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
> LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.