Re: NSDirectoryEnumerator

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: NSDirectoryEnumerator
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:49:38 +0300

On 2004-10-01 16:52:07 +0300 Alexander Malmberg <address@hidden> wrote:

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
Enrico Sersale wrote:
On 2004-09-30 21:42:44 +0300 Enrico Sersale <address@hidden> wrote:

Today, only to test how much time this keeps, I've tryed to create a NSArray with all the directories on my disk.
The code is very simple, something like this:
[snip]

Could you make the source for this available somewhere?

To clarify, I mean the exact source of the tool(/whatever) that shows this problem. It's always safest to debug the exact code, and it saves me from having to write a test tool myself. :)

- Alexander Malmberg

Here it is.
It builds on GNUstep and on OSX without changes.
It writes to a file so we can avoid to think at NSMutableArray problems.

On my linux I get a file with 3500 lines, while "find / -type d" creates 55858
entries.
On OSX: if I build the tool with Xcode, the output is equal to "find / -type d"; if I
build it with GNUstep (gnu-gnu-gnu), it doesn't exit anymore from the while loop, fulling the disk.
It seems that it endless restarts from the first directory found in "/" (but all the
directories are found).
Unfortunately I can't test it on an other linux box.

#include <Foundation/Foundation.h>

static NSString *outpath = @"/home/enrico/enumerator.out"; // put here your path

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
  NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
  NSDirectoryEnumerator *enumerator = [[NSFileManager defaultManager] enumeratorAtPath:
@"/"];
  NSFileHandle *handle = [NSFileHandle fileHandleForWritingAtPath: outpath];
  NSStringEncoding encoding = [NSString defaultCStringEncoding];
  NSString *path;

  while ((path = [enumerator nextObject])) {
    if ([[enumerator fileAttributes] fileType] == NSFileTypeDirectory) {
      path = [path stringByAppendingString: @"\n"];
      [handle writeData: [path dataUsingEncoding: encoding]];
    }
  }

  [handle closeFile];
  [pool release];