Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 19:47:25 +0100

Le 1 oct. 04, à 10:59, MJ Ray a écrit :
I don't really think we can have worse marketing than what we have now [...]

Marketing was not a suggested role of the foundation. Also, I think you are being rude to those who have tried in the past by calling their efforts "nothing".

I'm sorry, but I'm one of those that "tried in the past", I wrote severals articles, did some logos/artworks, asked for other's people artworks, even did the marketing leaflets that were distributed at the last fosdem, etc. And I'm continuing to work on promoting GNUstep, because I really think this project could be more used/known than it is now, it deserve it, even if not everything is perfect, the foundation and designs are good.

Yet, I acknowledge that we don't really have a well defined marketing strategy, and most people's opinion on GNUstep is fuzzy at the best. When they don't confond the project with WindowMaker they think it's a dead project. If that sadden you, well, that's too bad, but that's the truth, and you know it.

I'm not saying that the previous efforts were "nothing", just that the actual impact is close to it.

We need to do more marketing, but setting up a corporation is a huge piece of work and long-term investment which will do little to help with it.

The foundation and the marketing are not automatically tied (the foundation will probably not do the marketing itself after all, it will more likely be a group of volounteers as today). But a foundation gives us more credibility, a central place to send/get money, etc.

A foundation does not need to be a corporation -- in France, it could just be a non-profit organization, you just need to go and register. I'm not in the US and I don't know how it works here, but if Greg want do create a Foundation, I trust him. I think he knows what kind of work he expose
himself to.

Although I agree that the exact roles of the Foundation needs to be more discussed and detailed, I really don't think we should use the FSF, because
- it's not the FSF role, they don't have manpower for that
- they are not as involved in the project as us (euphemism)

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke