Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:56:11 +0100

On 2004-10-01 19:47:25 +0100 Nicolas Roard <address@hidden> wrote:

[...], and most people's opinion on GNUstep is fuzzy at the best. When
they don't confond the project with WindowMaker they think it's a dead project. If that sadden you, well, that's too bad, but that's the truth, and you know it.

The fuzziness, yes. I've not really had many confound it with WindowMaker recently: I think their market share has fallen too now. Shouting loudly "we're not windowmaker, damnit" is just bizarre these days. We've much bigger hills to climb.

The foundation and the marketing are not automatically tied (the foundation will probably not do the marketing itself after all, it will more likely be a group of volounteers as today). But a foundation gives us more credibility, a central place to send/get money, etc.

That is what you want, then: a credible place to send/get money. That's probably worthwhile. It would help if we could get similar clear aims from others and identify what we mean by "credible". (I know that Adam posted some suggestions: thanks Adam.)

A foundation does not need to be a corporation [...]

No, not in England either. All the US foundations I know well are corporations, though.

in the US and I don't know how it works here, but if Greg want do create a Foundation, I trust him. I think he knows what kind of work he expose
himself to.

Unless I misunderstood how US corporations work, it needs more than one person, legally. Then we have to think about credibility too. This is probably making work for a lot of people: is it the best use of our resources?

As to trust... I think I tend to the opinion that was on my lecturer's wall: "In God we trust: all others must bring data."

Although I agree that the exact roles of the Foundation needs to be more discussed and detailed, I really don't think we should use the FSF, because
- it's not the FSF role, they don't have manpower for that

It seems clearly within the FSF role, according to the description on http://www.gnu.org/fsf/fsf.html

I don't know whether they have the manpower, but neither does the Foundation yet.

- they are not as involved in the project as us (euphemism)

This is why we need some control or commitment that money donated for GNUstep will be used for GNUstep. I think English law normally restricts use of directed donations to non-profit groups, so you can't spend them on other things. You can spend general donations on anything. I'd need to check to be certain of that, but I'm pretty sure. Does US law have similar provisions? If so, do we just need confirmation that the chief maintainer's decision is final?

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk