GSCUPS is in

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: GSCUPS is in
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:22:06 -1000

I added GSCUPS to cvs. However, I want everyone to know that this does not mean you can start printing to your OS X computer's printers. At least, not without some kind of zeroconf installed on your box. I installed tmdns, which is available at sourceforge, and it seems to be working so far as a good zerconf solution for linux machines.

Why do you need zerconf? The reason is because GSCUPS actually downloads the PPD from the computer serving the printer, it does not store them locally. Since OS X uses zeroconf and its cups server broadcasts the host name using the zerconf hostname (ie: iMac.local), you need zerconf to resolve the hostname.

OTOH, you can also hook in printers directly into your box and configure cups yourself as a local printer. I'd like to hear how that works out too.

So, try it out, send in bug reports!

Chad