Re: Version discovery...

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Version discovery...
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:29:20 -0400

Is there currently a way to discover the version of gui or base an application
is running on?

This came up in the Emacs port -- in other *Steps (including OS X) there is apparently a call 'PSnextrelease()' call. (I guess the "next" here means "NeXT".) E.g.:

        char c[1024];
        PSnextrelease(1024,c);

I'm not sure what the status of these PSxxx() calls is in GNUstep (I ended up #ifdef'ing several of them out in Emacs) -- maybe there is a special include file that is needed?

In OS X, the call returns without error, but returns an empty string!

In any case, I suppose this version ID would correspond to the "back end" in GNUstep, so other calls are needed to get Base/GUI versions.