Re: Version discovery...

From: stefan
Subject: Re: Version discovery...
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:58:49 +0200

Citát Adam Fedor <address@hidden>:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 11:10 PM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I was recently discussing this on IRC with Alex P, and he brought up
> > something
> > I've been thinking about for a while....
> >
> > Is there currently a way to discover the version of gui or base an
> > application
> > is running on?
> >
> > Some applications, Gorm in particular, are sensitive to this.  I would
> > like to
> > make enhancements such that it will not start and will warn the user
> > if a
> > minimum version of the libraries are not present.
> >

> There's a string 'gnustep_base_version' defined in the library which
> isn't marked static, so theoretically an application could have access
> to that, but there probably ought to be a better way.

Can we have some number version, so it can be compared by #if ? Something like:

#degfine GNUSTEP_BASE_VERSION 110

I would suggest to use format 100*major + minor. It would ignore patch/subminor
number as there are usualy incompatibilities between minor releases for non-cvs
users. Majority of CVS users have up-to date sources anyway and they are often
aware of possible incompatibilities.

Similar would be for GNUSTEP_GUI_VERSION and probably GNUSTEP_VERSION.

Stefan