Re: Version discovery...

From: stefan
Subject: Re: Version discovery...
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:26:22 +0200

Citát Adam Fedor <address@hidden>:

> On Oct 14, 2004, at 8:58 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>

> > Can we have some number version, so it can be compared by #if ?
> > Something like:
> >
> > #degfine GNUSTEP_BASE_VERSION 110
> >
> > I would suggest to use format 100*major + minor. It would ignore
> > patch/subminor
> > number as there are usualy incompatibilities between minor releases
> > for non-cvs
> > users. Majority of CVS users have up-to date sources anyway and they
> > are often
> > aware of possible incompatibilities.
> >
> > Similar would be for GNUSTEP_GUI_VERSION and probably GNUSTEP_VERSION.
> >

> There is already that as well, but that only tells you the version that
> the application was compiled with, not the version it is running under.

Ah, ok. What about analogy to NSProcessInfo:
there is:
    - (NSString *)operatingSystemVersionString

GNUstep extensions:
    - (NSString *)GNUstepBaseVersionString
    - (NSString *)GNUstepGUIVersionString
or:
    - (NSSTring *)versionForFramework:(NSString *)frameworkName

This will keep all version strings in the same place - NSProcessInfo. I think it
is good place to pout them in as we are talking about versions that are process
related.

The last one can be used for any linked framework. So this:

    [[NSProcessInfo processInfo] versionForFramework:@"Base"]

can be translated to:

    "version of Base framework that is linked to the currently running process"

Stefan