Re: Version discovery...

From: Roland Schwingel
Subject: Re: Version discovery...
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:30:30 +0200

Hi

Adam Fedor wrote on 14.10.2004 17:11:37:

> On Oct 14, 2004, at 8:58 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>

> > Can we have some number version, so it can be compared by #if ?
> > Something like:
> >
> > #degfine GNUSTEP_BASE_VERSION 110
> >
> > I would suggest to use format 100*major + minor. It would ignore
> > patch/subminor
> > number as there are usualy incompatibilities between minor releases
> > for non-cvs
> > users. Majority of CVS users have up-to date sources anyway and they
> > are often
> > aware of possible incompatibilities.
> >
> > Similar would be for GNUSTEP_GUI_VERSION and probably GNUSTEP_VERSION.
> >

> There is already that as well, but that only tells you the version that
> the application was compiled with, not the version it is running under.

A while ago I also had the proplem to print the current versionnumber of
gnustep. I am at present using
the NSCoder version...

NSCoder *coder = [[NSCoder alloc] init];
coderVersion = [coder systemVersion];
[coder release];

printf("GNUstep Version:
%d.%d.%d\n",coderVersion/10000,(coderVersion%10000)/100,(coderVersion%10000)%100);

This works pretty well, but having some methods for it would IMHO also be
nice.

Roland