Re: Defaults

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Defaults
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:35:36 -0700

Quentin Mathé wrote:

Le 11 oct. 04, à 17:56, Alex Perez a écrit :

Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Hi,
As I am moving from one computer to another I am experiencing some
inconveniences. Is there any reason why is GNUstep defaults database
hidden file? This prevents normal user with default file-manager
settings to move his defaults, as they are not visible.
Another thing is: it would be better to store defaults in one file per
domain - this will allow to copy defaults from one machine to other,
which is not quite possible now (it is not very easy and not doable by
standard user).

Others have previously suggested one file per application, which is what is done under OS X, AFAICT.

I think it would be a better choice than the current one.

Also i would suggest to use Preferences, Settings or Configuration
directory name instead of 'Defaults', but that is not so important.

Well, under OS X, Apple's decided to put the "global" per-user plist in ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist, the GNUstep equivalent is almost always ~/Library/Preferences . I think the "Defaults" name is a poor naming choice because it is almost universally accepted what "Preferences" means within the context of computer programs, but almost no-one outside of a few next, apple, and GNUstep-heads know what our definition of "defaults" is.

I propose that ~/GNUstep/Defaults be moved to ~/GNUstep/Library/Preferences. Stefan, based on what you've said, I think you'd think this was a good idea, but I don't know how other GNUstep core developers feel (besides the below-mentioned Alexander M.)

I have no real opinion on this issue, especially because only relatively experienced users delete defaults/preferences files. In this case, if such user knows he should do it, he will know where the files to remove are located whatever the parent folder's name is…

That's not why I proposed this change, however.

If you want to make $GNUSTEP_USER_DIR=~, as is done under OS X currently you have to have a ~/Defaults folder. This is wrong, and there's really no reason why Defaults should live outside of wherever the User Library folder happens to be (be it ~/Library or ~/GNUstep/Library)