Re: Version discovery...

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Version discovery...
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:29:31 +0800

I've been working with a general solution for this which I'll put up for
consideration. Rather than get very detailed immediately I'll describe it in
a more abstract way:

The is an object which handles registration. Bundles can have a +load or use
an init method, libraries can use whatever 'on-library-load' mechanism is
appropriate.

Each "thing" to be registered needs a signature {to identify itself}, a major
version number and a minor version number. Additionally it can flag itself as
possessing any one of up to 128 different "features" which are per "thing".

For example, this means you can define:
  MyNetworkService
    version: 1.2
    has: IPv6support, Multicast, SSLsupport, CipherBundles, locationsupport

Feature support is really both "has" and "can" verbs but I can't see a need to
separate them out.  This provides a sufficient frame for applications to
'discover' their operating environment and tailor their behaviour
appropriately.

NSProcessInfo seems a logical choice for extension since it already handles
operating system information discovery but it's possible to put the API
elsewhere.  I like it as a category which is implemented per OS.

Regards,
Sheldon