Re: OpenStep anniversary

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: OpenStep anniversary
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:26:11 +0100

On 2004-10-18 16:35:59 +0100 Dennis Leeuw <address@hidden> wrote:

Nicolas Roard wrote:
Regarding the article, I think we need:
- a part about OpenStep, history, etc.

My edit of Dennis's work is below.

- GNUstep's history (with emphasis on the recent progresses, obviously..)

What are the most significant recent progresses? Not currently hacking on it, I have trouble telling, as not much is on info-gnustep recently.

- Presentation of GNUstep possibilities

This looks a large topic.

10 - the magic number
=====================

Today, the OpenStep API celebrates its 10th anniversary. It started out as a joint adventure of NeXT and SUN to define an application development standard that would run on all machines, making "write once compile everywhere" a reality and OpenStep is still a vivid and active community of GNUstep, old NeXT and Apple lovers.

The magic 10 appears in GNUstep's current 1.10.x and Apple's MacOS X release numbers. Currently, people can develop their programs on Mac OS, Linux, the BSDs, Solaris, and (with a couple of hurdles) even on Windows. This solid and well-defined standard is reaching out to the world of software development, slowly but surely.

Program your applications in a couple of hours instead of days, weeks or never. Use the advanced API of a development framework that didn't need much modification for 10 years, because it rocks, is stable and just works.

You want to know more? Visit the links below:

GNUstep:
http://www.gnustep.org/
http://www.roard.com/gnustep/GNUstep-brochure.pdf
http://www.roard.com/gnustep/Booklet.pdf