Re: GnuStep + SFU

From: T.J. Yang
Subject: Re: GnuStep + SFU
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:15:17 -0500

From: Alex Perez <address@hidden>
To: "T.J. Yang" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, T.J. Yang wrote:

> Hi, there
>
> Is there a technical reason why gnustep built with mingw
> instead of Microfot's Service For Unix ?
It's illegal to redistribute SFU. That's a showstopper. Mingw creates
native windows binaries, anyways.

> Or is there a reason not to do so ? IMHO, SFU is supported
> by M.S.  and it has better commercial technical  support.

It's illegal and that will never change. I had this idea a year or so ago
when the new version of SFU came out, but MS' draconian licensing is too
restrictive to make SFU of any use.

> I am thinking of give it a try if I am not doing it alone.

It would probably work, but it's a legal problem, not a tecnhical problem

Oops, I wasn't away of the legal issue. Can you explain what exactly
we can't do with SFU ?

T.J. Yang

Alex Perez