Re: New windows installer

From: T.J. Yang
Subject: Re: New windows installer
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:51:38 -0600

Thanks for the reply, If I am not clear enough please ask again.

From: Wim Oudshoorn <address@hidden>
To: "T.J. Yang" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:31:00 +0100

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:02:28AM -0600, T.J. Yang wrote:
> From: Wim Oudshoorn <address@hidden>
>
> >Yes we could do this, but why?
>
> 1. The WiX packaging process is described in XML language
>    as hellow.wxs text file.
>    Easier to maintain and can be scripted and automated
>    to do non-gui interactive build.

XML I don't care.  And I don't know what you mean
with scripted and automated.

I do care about XML so I swtiched from MakeMSI,NSIS and
to WiX.

By "scripted and automated", I mean can I recompile and
repacakge 300 software package by shell script
or makefile. Thanks for pointing out Inno has command
line tool to make the package also.

You can already run the installer from the commandline
without asking any annoying questions.

> 2. WiX is MS opensource project.
>    Personally I like to invest my efforts on a software
>    that has good longevity because of its open-source nature.

That is nice.  But INO is as far as I know also open source.
See http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

> I also like to admit I don't know much about Windows Software Packaging.

Me neither, Tom Koelman is the person who wrote the Windows installer
and maintains it.  I just tweak it once in a while and sometimes
make the actual installer.

> I am doing a personal project to package GNUstep using XML language
> base Cross-Platform Package Management tool call
> TWW(http://www.thewrittenword.com).

But it does not seem to support Windows.

It will happen either from TWW or less likely me.

> This will help me to allow GNUstep to be used in my office environment.
> Because TWW CPAM can generate different native packages(rpm,depot,pkgadd
> etc.)
> from one package source.

I don't understand, you want to use the TWW installer to deploy
in your office environment, but TWW is not supported for windows
anyway, so what does WiX buy you (WiX != TWW and Ino != TWW).

WiX != TWW
    True, But TWW can integreated with WiX's candle,light etc tool
     set to create package.

Ino != TWW
    True, TWW can integreate with Inno if there is command line
    interface for creating package.

TWW is not an installer. It is a tool, system to deal with all kind
of installers(or PMS) mainly in Unix camp.

I am not expressing my clearly here, I am preparing the GNUstep package
using TWW for the UNIX machines(RH Linux,HP,Soalris).

I used one package source to generate native package format
for linux,hp and solaris and I like to be able to generate a GNUstep
msi pacakge from same package source. WiX is the best and easy
tool that can make this happen, IMHO.

> Once TWW support Win32 platform(or we can do it ourselves),
> we can generate and release GNUstep from one singe package source.

Yes but I am not the person to make TWW work on Windows.
And until it is I see no incentive to do anything about the current situation.
I would rather put time in makeing the Gui installer work.

Sure, understand your position. Thanks for the time you put in
to improve  the GUI installer for GNUstep.

> PS: When you release GNUstep win32 installer, can you release the package > source also ? This way your effort can be reused. I can learn and understand
> how you build the package.

Yes, I can send the source of the installer to you.  But not before
next week.  Although I doublt if it is really inspirational.
Roughly the installer does the following:

1 - Put the whole directory hierarchy with unpacked sources
    into place
2 - Runs a script that follows the MinGW Readme
3 - Runs a sanity check at the end.

It is easy when you know it ;). Please send  me package source
When you got a chance. I installed the Inno too, I will try
to port it to WiX's .wxs format once I got your package source.

Regards

tj

Wim Oudshoorn.