[RFC/Proposal] Cocoa.h header

From: Alex Perez
Subject: [RFC/Proposal] Cocoa.h header
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:51:47 -0800

Currently, GNUstep-GUI has a file in Headers/Cocoa/Cocoa.h which is not installed by default. I would like to change that, because there's no reason for it not to be installed, and I have a use/need for it. However, the header is not a direct analog to the Apple's Cocoa.h. This is bad. I propose the following:

Our Cocoa.h needs to be exactly the same as Apple's. All Apple's does is #import <Foundation/Foundation.h> and #import <AppKit/AppKit.h> and *THAT'S IT*. Right now, there's other darwin-compatibility stuff in there which should be elsewhere. I propose that stuff be moved to Headers/Cocoa/CocoaCompat.h or something similar. Cocoa.h will not #import this file by default, it will be like most of the other compatibility headers which are distributed with GNUstep; You will need to know that you need to import it explicitly.

Both of these files would then be installed when make install is run for -GUI.

Please, contribute your feedback. If you are against such an action, please explain why and what you propose instead.

Cheers,
Alex Perez