Re: Deployment Environment

From: Aredridel
Subject: Re: Deployment Environment
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:40:31 -0700

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 01:05 +0100, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about automation process of deployment/packaging in
> gnustep. I would like to ask, whether the following is possible:
>
> (from http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstepWishlist)
>
> ** Packaging system in GNUstep-make integration
>
> Scripts/bundles/custom extensions to the GNUstep-make so one can do:
>
>  > make package packagetype=deb

This is partly done in gnustep-make. One major problem, though, is that
RPM starts with a spec file. No distro's build system will ever use this
mechanism, because it requires too much gnustep-specific stuff to happen
before the spec file is generated. At best, it'll provide a template;
however, most distros have templates aplenty, I'd figure. PLD does at
least.

What would be most helpful is RPM macros to aid building a package:
given a package name, description, source URL and version, macros could
make building the package easier (no GNUSTEP_INSTALL_ROOT to manually
pass to make), and more importantly, locating and separating devel files
from frameworks, cleaning up the unneccesary stamp.make files in
framework directories, and just making the file and dependency list for
the package trivial to manage.

95% of my time packaging a gnustep app is manually picking through the
generated files and marking the neccessary to run, neccesary to build
gainst and unneccesary files appropriately. Also, marking config files
as such is important, too.

Ari