Re[6]: additional methods in NSMutableString

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[6]: additional methods in NSMutableString
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:02:34 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:32:37 -0500 Adrian Robert <address@hidden> wrote:

 >| > Just to add a more general comment ...
 >| >
 >| > One of the big advantages of OpenStep / Cocoa is it's simple, easy to
 >| > remember API.
 >| >
 >| > Adding methods also has disadvantages:
 >| > - Writing applications becomes more difficult since you have to
 >| > choose from a
 >| > bigger set of methods.

[...]
 >| I don't know about the specific issue of path methods for
 >| NSMutableString, but it might bear some thinking why NeXT/Apple has
 >| never seen it necessary to have these methods.

I've proposed path methods for 2 reasons:
o performance
o similarity ("orthogonalité") between NSMutableString and NSString. For me
it's strange to have them in NSString
and not in NSMutableString...
o it involve core/system things like system separators,... so I was thinking it
was better to add it in core/base
instead of my own private libraries.

About -setCharacters:length:,.. I was thinking it was an improvement and self
understanding (as there's similar
methods like stringWithCharacters,...
As it may be very dependant of NSString coding, I was thinking its place could
be in addition

But anyway, I don't want to spend too much time discuss this/bothering others.
If theres no
agreement, I'll live without  them, no problem :-)

A last thing, performance is, IMHO, a key in GNUstep success so if we can add
few simple things to improve performance
it may be interesting to consider them.

Just my 2 euroscents

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998