Re: Marketing (not only for FOSDEM 2005)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Marketing (not only for FOSDEM 2005)
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:55:15 +0100

Adam,

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 22:01 -0700, Adam Fedor wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2005, at 2:35 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > An idea not only for the survey:
> >
> > It can be great if it would be possible to use some money from the
> > GNstep fund (or some other source) for things like t-shirts or mugs
> > with
> > the GNUstep logo + "GNUstep" label and perhaps some slogan. It can
> > motivate people to fill the survey form. It is just small thing, but it
> > is a kind of positive motivation - you fill it, you can win (and it
> > does
> > not mather what you win, it is about the feeling that you win).
> >

> Well, for one thing, there really isn't anything in the 'GNUstep Fund'.
> There's a tiny bit for the icons (not nearly enough to pay for them).
> I don't know yet how much (if any) people have contributed via the FSF.
> Also, some people have expressed that they wouldn't want to give money
> to GNUstep if it was just going to be used for tshirts and stuff.

I agree with you, that it would be better to give money directly to the
gnustep. However, how would you suggest to:

- motivate people to fill the survey?
- propagate the information that there is such thing like gnustep?

Ihe inner quality of a product does not help, if the product is not
known. Therefore there should be a way how to let others know that
gnustep exists. I doubt that people usualy google for "the best
development environment" or something like that, they rather ask their
friends what they use, if they have no experience with one.

There are at least following groups of people out there:
- do not know about GS
- partially decided for GS
- decided for GS

All three groups are important, not only the last one. And you have to
have something for all three groups if you want to attract and keep
them.

Giving out a marketing CD (http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Marketing%
20CD) is very good for partially decided and decided people. Partially
decided can browse apps, try live CD. The decided group can browse docs
to look whether it fits their need. But what do you want to give to
those who do not care about gnustep yet? Well ... something that they
will be happy with, but will remind them (and their friends) that there
is such thing like GNUstep. And that is why something like t-shirts or
mugs ow whatever you like is somehow important.

It is not direct investment, it is investment in the future, which is
always a bit risky.

And yes, people do usually act at their very basic level, regardless how
educated they are.

It was just a suggestion to discuss. What suggestions do you have for
attracting undecided people and people who do not care about gnustep
yet? What other marketing tricks would you use?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi