Drag/drop from workspace to app icon

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Drag/drop from workspace to app icon
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:11:51 -0500

Hi,

I was experimenting with dragging files from GWorkspace to the application icons of various apps. From what I observed with Emacs, this does not cause drag/drop machinery to be activated in the active View, but instead results in a -application:openFile: (or maybe an -openFile:onHost:atTrueLine:) message being sent to the NSApp (I assume resulting from processing of the drag somewhere else in GUI). This makes sense, although it does not appear to work the same way on OS X, which I'm looking into.

The problem is though (on GNUstep), the message only seems to be sent if the app icon is in the lower left of the screen. This applies to other apps like TextEdit too. Put the icon in the lower left, and a green 'draggable' icon appears when dragging, and it gets the file. Move it away, and a black 'no' icon appears instead, and no file open message is received. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using WindowMaker, is it to blame? My GWorkspace is CVS from about a month ago.

thanks