Re: Cause of flickering title in load/save dialogs

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Cause of flickering title in load/save dialogs
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:49:50 +0100

Am 13.01.2005 um 05:47 schrieb Adrian Robert:

I found this is caused by a call to [theSession->window orderFrontRegardless] in [NSApplication -runModalSession:], which itself is called repeatedly in a loop in [NSApplication -runModalForWindow:], once call per mouse movement event. Commenting this line out fixes the problem and seems to cause no ill effects (in limited testing).

You can set X11 window managers to pop the window to front where the mouse is over - no clicking needed. Perhaps the intention was to have the modal dialog in front all time, regardless of the mouse position.

How about making sure the modal window is just in front of the corrsponding document window? I've seen X11 apps behaving this way and it's obviously supported by the window manager protocol, but no idea how it is actually done :-}

(Sorry about all the random GUI questions, don't worry, after maybe 50 more of them I should be able to switch to answering instead of asking ;-)

Doing some code review/cleanup is always a good idea :-)

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/