RIGS

From: Frederik Harwath
Subject: RIGS
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:31:01 +0100

Hello everyone,
I was just playing around with RIGS (using ruby 1.8.2 and all the gnustep stuff taken from CVS) and I was curious wether I'd be able to use Renaissance (or any other library) from ruby, as the README supplied with RIGS states:

        One of the most interesting feature of RIGS is that it is 100%
        dynamic. It means that RIGS maps Ruby object/methods to GNUstep and
        vice/versa entirely on the fly when running the Ruby script. As a
        consequence there is no need to generate any kind of wrapping code to
        use either existing GNUstep classes or even new ones that you have
        developped by yourself. Simply compile your new classes in a shared
        library and then do a simple:

        require('MyNewClass')       # load your extra ObjC shared library
        Rigs.import("MyNewClass")   # dynamically import the class in Ruby

So I tried to load Renaissance like this:
 irb1.8 -I /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries
Then, in irb:
require 'rigs'
require 'Foundation'
require 'AppKit'
require 'libRenaissance'

which leads to:
LoadError: /usr/lib/libruby1.8.so.1.8: undefined symbol: Init_libRenaissance - /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libRenaissance.so
        from /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libRenaissance.so
        from (irb):4

Which seems to make perfect sense, because ruby expects this Init_<libname> function to be there, but how else could I use it if not like that? Thanks for your help.

Greetings,
Frederik