Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases

From: Dale Johannesen
Subject: Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:20:41 -0800

On Jan 24, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

All,

I believe that since the GNUstep project is a GNU project and since both Apple and GNUstep current depend on GCC's ObjC frontend, that the policy of not considering bugs in ObjC as showstoppers needs to end. I would like to know
what the reasons are behind the decision this policy is.

The current regressions in the ObjC compiler will make it very difficult for both the GNUstep project and, in my opinion, Apple to continue to use gcc without making modifications. Indeed, releasing a broken ObjC compiler could cause a great deal damage to both the relationship of GCC with Apple and the
GNUstep project.

To my understanding a patch was submitted to correct these regressions and was
rejected.  Links available here:

As RTH, points out, the patch is wrong, and isn't fixing the real problem. Patches that paper over problems instead of fixing them generally aren't accepted.
Maybe so if they only touched the front end, but this one doesn't.

It looks like the code in that patch could simply be moved into the ObjC-specific langhook
for gimplify_expr.