Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:23:00 -0800

Patrick McFarland wrote:
Mark Mitchell wrote:

That's up to the Objective-C maintainers to ensure. As the RM, I will not hold up an otherwise good release because of Objective-C breakage.

Thats idiotic. Thats like saying you won't hold up the release because of C++ breakage.

I'm not understanding your point. (Proving your allegation of idiocy, I suppose.)

I would indeed hold up the release because of C++ breakage. C++ is a release-critical language; Objective-C is not. That's very much analagous to the fact that IA32 GNU/Linux is a release-critical platform; other systems like SH ELF are not.

The SC has to make some tough decisions, analagous to those that would be made by product management in a proprietary software development environment. However, unlike that situation, there's still something people interested in the de-prioritized feature can do: keep it working.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC