Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:34:51 -0500

On Jan 25, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

It may be that the Objective-C doesn't have the resources to maintain the Objective-C front end. In that case, you are probaby out of luck; it's unlikely that people outside your community will maintain the Objective-C front end gratis just to make the world a better place. So, if you care about GNU Objective-C, you're going to want to organize a community around that language that includes some GCC developers.

The problem is not the nonexistence of Objective-C GCC developers, but their being outnumbered by the C/C++ ones (who thus determine both pace of development and release criteria). Since GCC is an FSF project, I hope that such a path to "tyranny of the majority" can be averted.

Not because it is FSF's place to provide a warm niche for every small software community out there, but because a central part of the FSF's mission is to provide platform support for developing independence from proprietary software. Objective-C and the GNUstep project based on it advance that goal. Architectural and incremental performance improvements in gcc-4.0 (from tree-ssa, etc.), while nice to have, do not. (What version of gcc does the linux kernel officially use?)

Again, I'm not suggesting a return to the days of gcc and egcs. And there IS a good argument for prioritizing C/C++ support. Just, please don't be so quick to preserve discontinuities in levels of support with these comments of "go find more developers" and "we're not going to wait for you".