Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:02:52 +0100

On Jan 25, 2005, at 18:44, Steven Bosscher wrote:
Will you stop accusing everyone of breaking ObjC?

I'm not accusing anyone. I politely asked before and got no answers which explained it otherwise. Just claiming that there is misinformation and a misunderstanding doesn't resolve issues at all.

All the information which was passed out is "the Objective-C frontend won't work in GCC 4.0" and as a happy cc1obj user without any issues so far I think it is completely valid to ask for clarification even though I'm not a GCC internals expert.

This is *not* what
happened.  The ObjC front end itself was broken, and not by changes to
the C/C++ front end, it was broken well before and it just happened to
work.

OK, understood your point now.

From a user perspective it wasn't broken though, instead it was working just fine and behaved as expected - producing applications for production use at hundreds of thousands of endusers since years. So don't be offended, but I have a hard time to follow your "steering wheel" analogy.

But I suppose it isn't worth to discuss that. Am I right that the thread can be closed anyway because the issue is already fixed by Alexander Malmberg?

Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/
OpenGroupware.org