Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:39:19 +0100

On Jan 25, 2005, at 17:35, Steven Bosscher wrote:
So is C/C++, so perhaps you can convince the people pushing ObjC++
that your argument is valid.  We have already tried that without luck.

I don't understand what you are saying. For one you seem to agree with me that one shall not break others code and even push that opionion towards ObjC++ guys, but at the same time this is done by C/C++ contributors to ObjC.
That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

BTW: I perfectly know that some people from Apple are not really of great help here and that threads on the ObjC++ topic seem to get to into a rather childish flame war. I hope that this thread doesn't turn that way.

I think thats pretty much the usual way how all projects work.
It is also how GCC works.

Obviously not.

Its a matter of fairness with the other project members.
You seem to imply some project members treat objc unfair, but you just
so miss the point.

My understanding of the situation, please correct me if I'm wrong:
Someone is working in the C frontend to improve it, he needs to change some internal structures or functions.

So if he is good-willed, he will first remember that there is something like ObjC in his project and consider that in his design. Then he will need to do some minor work to adopt the ObjC hooks into the C frontend to fix the issue. This is little work for him because he is already deeply into the topic and ObjC is a minor addition to C. If he _really_ has no time, he will at least inform the ObjC maintainer of the required changes due to his changes.

If he is not, he will just leave the ObjC frontend laying around, postboning the responsibility for _his_ changes in one part of the software to the maintainers of another part of the software which will need 50 times longer to fix this issue because the need to get into the changes.
Thats not very helpful behaviour, but well ...

best regards,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/