Re[2]: [GDL2] commit and few points

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: [GDL2] commit and few points
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:33:03 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:08:10 +0100 David Ayers <address@hidden> wrote:

 >| Manuel Guesdon wrote:
 >|
 >| > I've commited some changes. Part of this is optimizations.
 >| > I've experimented a >30% gain in speed for fetching 3000
 >| > records.
 >|
 >| This sounds great!
 >|
 >| > I've added EOPriv.[hm] which handle some catching and
 >| > initializations things. May be it's not the best idea to put all this
 >| > here and suggestions/changes are welcome.
 >|
 >| Actually I already have EOPrivate.[hm] locally :-) I'll merge them soon.
 >|   But I admit I would have prefered to keep the static caches local to
 >| the files in which they were used.

Some of them are in teir files (EOEditingContext,
EODatabaseContext).
I've put others in the same place to have a simple and common initialisation
place so we can be sure that nothing is used before being
initialized but it's not necessary the best solution.

 >| But I'll try to work with the new
 >| version a bit.  I'm also not really comfortable with all the IMP
 >| caching.  Are you sure that's a susbstantial amount of the 30%?

Yes, on fetching 3 000 records and I have another set of optimizations
which should improve that :-)

I've manly worked on very often used methods and more
specifically in loops in them.

 >| > I've temporary reverted David Ayers's changes in
 >| > EOAttribute -adaptorValueByConvertingAttributeValue because we can
 >| > have a NSString to to store in a NSNumber class attribute
 >|
 >| Storing an NSString in something that's declared as NSNumber seems wrong
 >| and I vagely rember testing it quite a bit.  Maybe we need some type of
 >| formatter here though.  I'll go back and look at this, as I may be
 >| missing something.

I think it's common as you often get user input (for date, number,...) as string
I haven't investigate deeper on this (lack of time) but we should find a way to
well handle this.

 >| > I have a problem with EOEditingContext -_objectBasedChangeInfoForGIDInfo:
 >| > "Assertion failed in EOEditingContext(instance), method
 >_objectBasedChangeInfoForGIDInfo:.  called with GID
 >| > <EOKeyGlobalID 0x82d4d50 - Entity SessionArchive - keysValues:"883878"
 >(NSIntNumber) > not managed by receiver
 >| (0x9c41be8)
 >| >
 >| > The gid was recorded in EditingContext 0x9f12fd8 and this message come
 >| > from 0x9c41be8 editing context.
 >| >
 >| > David, any idea ?
 >| > BTW, may be you can double check my changes in EOEditingContext to be
 >sure I haven't break yours as the merge was
 >| > little complex :-)
 >|
 >| Indeed, that assertion was there for testcases that it seems I haven't
 >| finished yet.  You can remove it for for now and I'll have a closer look.

OK.

 >| > Except -_objectBasedChangeInfoForGIDInfo: problem, it seems to work
 >| > but I didn't make deep tests. I'll do it as soon as I can.
 >| >

 >| I'm fighting a flu right now, but should be able to resolve these issues
 >|   in the next few days.

Great !

Thx.

Manuel