Re: [GDL2] commit and few points

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [GDL2] commit and few points
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:21:58 +0100

Manuel Guesdon wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:08:10 +0100 David Ayers <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

I think it's common as you often get user input (for date, number,...) as string
I haven't investigate deeper on this (lack of time) but we should find a way to well handle this.

Hello Manuel,

Maybe we can look at this now. If you have an attribute with NSAdaptorNumberType, that means that the valueClass(Name) is some NSNumber (sub)class. So the EO(GenericRecord) is expected to return an NSNumber for that attribute. It seems that you have the situation that somehow it actually contains an NSString.

I would expect a validation error during validateForSave: but maybe you are not using and EOEditingContext here.

If this NSString stems from user input (I suspect a GSWTextField) then it seems you may be missing a formatter which should convert the NSString into an NSNumber /before/ the attribute value is set in the EO(GenericRecord). But I really think converting it in -adaptorValueByConvertingAttributeValue: is wrong (and far too late for many purposes).

Here is an example of how to add a formatter, but you probably already know this:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_4.5/System/Documentation/Developer/WebObjects/Reference/DynamicElements/WOTextField.html

Cheers,
David

PS: I haven't tested whether GSWeb actually does this conversion, but it definitely should as it seems to be implemented in -takeValuesFromRequest:inContext: