Re: Installation on windows (fwd)

From: Jeremy Bettis
Subject: Re: Installation on windows (fwd)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:52:53 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Frith-Macdonald" <address@hidden>
To: "Jeremy Bettis" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 2:49 PM
[...]
Oops ... I got it wrong ... GNUstep *will* do that on mingw. It always uses
'/' for building paths,
but will accept '\\' when parsing them on mingw.
I'm not at all sure that is *good* behavior though ... why do you 'wish
gnustep worked the same way' ?
Given that it apparently does work the same way,  I guess your desire is
theoretical rather than practical as you can't have had any problems with it
not doing that.

I have had a handful of problems with path handling, but you are correct, my expressed desire is theoretical rather than pratical. Primarially because I am willing to make my own changes to gnustep to accomplish my goals. (patches always available at deadbeef.com) And while I hope that I can eventually merge to an official release of gnustep, that is not my biggest concern. There was a strange bug somewhere, I forget where exactly, where some method was doing something funky with colons, and destroying paths that started with c:\.

I believe that minimal path munging is good, because I think that my concept of "user" is different than yours. My point of view is that the standard user is a rank windows newbie just trying to use a windows application which happens to depend on gnustep. Your point of view is that the standard user is a unix developer who is porting their gnustep code to windows or something like that. Clearly I am not inside your head, so this is a guess on my part.