Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:27:33 -0800

Sheldon Gill wrote:
Adrian Robert wrote:

On Mar 16, 2005, at 5:12 AM, Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:57:45 -0500, Adrian Robert
<address@hidden> wrote:

For another, I'm not sure when the y advancement should be used.  I
guess even the Japanese are mostly writing horizontally now, at
least on computers?  ;-)

How very gaijin of you.
How very gwailo of you.

I have seen a *lot* of japanese text in the field of publishing that use
vertical layout.

Well, my confusion was this: since, at least in Chinese and Japanese, the same font can be used for either horizontal or vertical layout (correct me if I'm wrong here), and presumably has both x and y advancements set nonzero, how should a PS command like moveshow(txt) know to advance the point vertically or horizontally per character? The current implementation in Art just assumes horizontal.

It seems like some type of layout preference info would need to be passed from a higher level.

Welcome to the wonderful world of complex script layout.
Truth is, it needs to be much more complicated than just "preference info". If Chinese & Japanese are confusing you, just wait til you hit Farsi!
or Arabic, or Hebrew :)

RTL scripts in general are a PITA to implement/support :)