Re: GSMime -setDefaultCoding

From: David Wetzel
Subject: Re: GSMime -setDefaultCoding
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:12:22 +0100

Adrian Robert wrote:

> Could we drop this method completely instead of deprecating?  It
> was only in (non-deprecated) existence for 4 days.  Whatever code
> has been written using it was recently written, and is presumably
> fresh enough in people's minds for rewriting to not be a problem.

that method was introduced to set the default encoding directly. If you know
the correct
NSStringEncoding. For example in GSWeb, you know what encoding your server uses.
It is resonable slower to set a string like @"utf-8" to the GSMime instance
that has to be string-
compared and turned into a NSStringEncoding.

Anyway the version from last week DID handle utf-8 but now it does not any more.
The maptable in the current version does not include utf-8.
GSWeb is slow enough, we should try to make it faster, not slower.
I did not have the time to announce and to discuss this because I had to leave
for a longer car drive...
Sorry for that. I will commit a patch this week when I find time.

dave

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 Phone +49 33056 82834
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/