Re: Gorm source reorganization

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Gorm source reorganization
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:46:05 +0100 (BST)

> > Thanks :-)
> >
> > We will try to support frameworks on all platforms (well, at least I
> > will).  That might require quite nasty hacks and things, but should
> > generally be possible (haven't looked into the Windows case yet though,
> > but as OpenStep for Windows had it working with some hacks, I suppose we
> > can do the same).
> >
> > If portability is an issue, I'd certainly recommend using libraries and
> > bundles only.  So yes, I generally agree with your suggestion of avoiding
> > frameworks in Gorm and all the core components (eg, gnustep-base,
> > gnustep-gui etc).
> >
> > But frameworks are quite popular, so we're not going to drop them anytime
> > soon, and I'll try supporting as many platforms as possible.
>
> It would be cool to support them on Windows, even if it is a hack, there are a
> number of programs which use them (for example ProjectCenter).  Also some of
> the Backbone stuff and a few other apps I can think of.

Sure ... I don't need convincing ;-) ... frameworks are a normal feature,
we should support them on Windows as well ... it's my next Windows TODO.
:-)

... but for the kind of "superior" portability which would be nice to have
in core packages, maybe if you can do without frameworks in Gorm, that
would make it more robustly and instantaneously portable. :-)

Thanks