Re: [RFC: Rewriting of the GNUstep User FAQ, specifically re: Frameworks

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: [RFC: Rewriting of the GNUstep User FAQ, specifically re: Frameworks]
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:20 -0400

On Apr 5, 2005, at 1:52 AM, Sheldon Gill wrote:

Alex Perez wrote:
Folks,
Since people (see http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=10182&limit=no )are actually reading the GNUstep User FAQ (see http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/ userfaq_1.html ), and the information in it regarding Frameworks is IMHO grossly out of date, I'd like to propose that it be revised to reflect the current state of Frameworks and also the fact that our pseudo-frameworks now work under windows, as well as describe what is required for "true" framework support (eg, linker and compiler support, binary format enhancement to ELF, etc) and perhaps even mention that Matt Rice has done some work towards this goal and to contact him if anyone is interested in it.
What do you think?

I think it is a good idea but that work on it should be held off for a little while. GNUstep is about to enter an 'unstable' cycle while important changes are made. This is the time when binary-incompatibilities are being introduced.

Thus, I believe any current update on the faq will need updating again in the near future. If someone feels like doing it both times thats fine. Otherwise, perhaps a note to the effect:
This FAQ is out of date. New FAQ will be issued in ?July?

If July is a good approximation of when this might be settled down, something a bit more substantial, such as brief outline of the goals, plans, and reasoning, would be nice. If these are still being worked out, at least a statement like "we used to do X, but then we encountered Windows / reevaluated frameworks' usefulness / whatever, and decided to change.." That way people who come to GNUstep at that time (or decide to look into frameworks) will know what to expect and won't need to mail the list asking, "What's up with frameworks [on platform X]?"

Not sure about moving FAQs to the wiki. The editability would be a win, but OTOH it's kind of nice having them right on the main site, quickly accessible and with shared look-and-feel to the rest of gnustep.org. Also, these get delivered with the libraries as part of the on-disk documentation (handy for laptops and other disconnected situations).